Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ironing My Shirt


In the morning around 6 am I iron my shirt and pants in a small walk in closet. In the quiet still of the morning my semi awake mind wanders through many thoughts and illusions apart from the psychical world I’m standing in. These wanderings, in the moment I’m having them, are real, have power and can influence or direct my exterior daily interaction with the world. Yet they are also vaporous and can dissolve and drift away with no real power over everyday life. It seems the thoughts that have the power are the ones I grip and hold on to and allow to create my reality. So, I’m ironing my clothes lost and gripping one of these thoughts / mind creations. In this thought I’m about to scream at a co-worker. The experience is so real that my heart is beating fast and my muscles are tight. Then I look up and I am pulled back into the here and now as I see the morning light reflecting off my sleeping daughter‘s face. The anger floats away and sweet peace takes its place.

2 comments:

Richard Ewing said...

Nice work, as usual, but no hands? Hands of late seem to be a directing theme in terms of visual movement for several of your last pieces...pushing me hither and yon in your composition... I guess I'm on my own now.
Hey! I think I know some of these people! Is one of them that co-worker?

Bill Jaynes said...

Yes it could be or one who was standing outside the door a bit, outside of the drawing. I'll let you guess which one