Monday, July 5, 2010

I went to the library to return a book




I went to the library to return a book. A giant tree branch falls in front of me blocking the entrance. If I was a few steps quicker the tree would have been on me. I find a free parking spot in downtown Los Angeles during a working day. I decide to do my favorite downtown walk around MOCA and Cal Plaza. It was fun, enjoyable, and safe. I get into my car to leave, glance at the hillside of Bunker Hill and see two homeless men sitting on a park bench. One hands the other a glass pipe and lights it for him. The other inhales, his eyes roll back into his head and his body starts to convulse wildly. I think to call 911. Before I could his eyes open, his head starts moving rapidly side to side and I can see he is talking to his friend in what must be a rap of the incoherent. I thought it was going to be just another ordinary day. Maybe it was.

2 comments:

Richard Ewing said...

El Dorado can be a very scary place... I know.
I like that hand in the 3rd image!

Mike Tracy said...

Now I know something strange is happening! I pulled up in front of MOCA Saturday and there was an open parking spot, on Grand, right in front of the box office! Forty years in LA and that has never happened! Were there Angels in the architecture? (I forget.) Glad you are alright.