Wednesday, April 11, 2012

IF-Vocal





The year is 1987 and I drive, with a friend, in a beat up, red 1965 Ford Mustang to San Francisco. We have sketchbooks, pencils, pens and cameras loaded with black and white film. We find a cheap place to stay and roam the City as explorers and adventurers. So much wonder to see when you have no expectations of  how things should be. At one point we browse City Lights Bookstore and then head up the street to Cafe Trieste for coffee. I'm just learning about coffee, espresso is a new thing for me. So I order a cafe latte which comes in a soup bowl sized cup.  In my mind, I think "latte" means a lot of coffee.  We get buzzed on the coffee, draw in our sketchbooks in an almost perfect moment.  Then breaking the silence a man with a goatee and beret stands up from his seat and says, " I've finished it.  I've finished my poem." and he proceeds to read it aloud.  He finishes and the patrons all applaud him. Wow! the perfect moment got even better.

7 comments:

crazylady said...

Love this - so fun! Great proportions.

Alice Andreini said...

What a beautiful illustration! the movement, the colors and the patterns all work together to make a very energetic, coffee induced event.i love all of the small details. They are very clever and do not bog down the whole.

Rod MacGregor said...

Great post...love the story and the illo!!!

Graham McArthur said...

Nice work, good illo.

Unknown said...

I like your style!!

Creations By Mit said...

Great style! Love how it seems loose, yet so detailed!

Mardi Speth said...

Bill, this is a beautiful painting. I enjoyed your story just as much. Your paintings with music themes are so wonderful. I think you found your niche. "More", the audience pleads.